Sunday, October 28, 2007

Dropping In

Hi everyone,

Well i have rather important news, after my long 8 year break from War Photography i have decided to go out into the field one more time.

I am visiting Iraq to tour around the country with troops from the USA, UK and Australia.

My break from war photography was due to the loss of my old friend and colleague Colin Jackson, who died after being too close to an artillery shell that was fired by military forces. The shell killed Colin and left me severely wounded, both physically and mentally. I struggled with Post Traumatic Stress disorder and regretfully held Colin's death from his then pregnant wife and everyone else. I felt like it was my fault that he died, and i couldn't come to terms with it.

After help and treatment from my wife Elena's grandfather, Joaquin Morales, i eventually came to terms with the loss of Colin and while it was hard, we got through it. I eventually started the charity 'The Colin And Diane Jackson fund' which goes to helping victims of people involved in war, who aren't military, such as war photographers, journalists or anyone else who would not be covered by government and military insurance policies.

With the starting of the charity i could not bring myself to return to war zone and my place in the war photography scene was soon enough gone. Now after a short holiday in Spain with the family, i have decided to take one more trip into the war zone. I will post again upon returning from Iraq, proceeds from all picture sales will be going to the Jackson Fund!

Thankyou Everyone, Mark Walsh